Ten Facts About Boardwalk Empire
The HBO Prohibition Series, Boardwalk Empire, grew extensively in popularity since it began in 2010. Based in Atlantic City, this drama about a crooked politician that ran Atlantic City like he owned it, is a combination of historical facts and true fiction. So, in light of the approach of season 5, we thought fans of the series would be interested in these ten facts about Boardwalk Empire.
- Lead character, Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, is based on real life Atlantic City crooked politician Enoch L. Johnson, whose nickname was also Nucky.
Johnson ran Atlantic city for over 3 decades and despite his shady character was well loved by citizens of the area.
- By the time the first episode of Boardwalk Empire aired on September 19, 2010, it already ate up $18 million.
- Martin Scorsese who is the shows producer, also made his television directing debut directing the first episode of the series.
- Scorsese’s attention to detail lead him to insist that the planks used for the Atlantic City boardwalk’s first show, be exactly the same size as they were during the time period the show takes place.
- At the beginning of the first episode of the series, Nucky Thompson steps out from the Ritz Carlton on the eve of prohibition. The only problem is, that the Ritz- Carlton wasn’t even built until a year and half later and the hotel in the series, is actual a completely different hotel.
- Although in the series Nucky Thompson puts out hits on some of his enemies, such as Margaret Schroeder’s husband, the real Nucky (Enoch Johnson) never put out a hit on anyone during his time as a politician and mobster.
- Actor Steve Buscemi, who plays Nucky Thompson, was once a New York firefighter and in fact following the 9/11 attack he showed up at his old firehouse in “Little Italy” and worked 12 hour shifts for a week following the attack.
- Boardwalk Empire was one of the fastest shows ever renewed for a second season. The renewal came just 2 short days after the show premiered.
- The series creator for Boardwalk Empire, Terrence Winter was the writer and executive producer of the Sopranos
- Boardwalk Empire will be entering season 5, which is also the final season starting September 7, 2014 and fans will watching with bated breath to find out what happens to Nucky Thompson and his henchmen.
The series was nominated for 40 Primetime Emmy awards, winning 17.